Filed under Locations
A part of the Jabalpur Division, Narsinghpur is a district of Madhya Pradesh. Its administrative headquarters is the town of the same name. Narsinghpur is bounded on the north by the districts of Sagar and Damoh, on the south by the district of Chhindwara, on the east by the district of Jabalpur, and on the west by Hoshangabad. To the district’s southeast is found Seoni District and to the northeast is the district of Raisen. Narsinghpur has a total area of 5,133 square kilometers with a population of 957,399 people, according to the 2001 census. The district has 5 administrative tehsils. They are Gotegaon, Gadarwara, Narsinghpur, Kareli and Tendukehda.
Pre-modern history, the area in and around the district has been occupied by ancient people, as evidenced by the discovery of animal fossils and stone implementations and tools in the village of Bhatra, located some 10 kilometers away from Gadarwara. Other artifacts are also found in neighboring areas of the district.
Historical records also show that the district was under the rule of the Satvahans during the 2nd century and, on the 4th century, the Gupt empire took over, led by King Samudra Gupt. Other kingdoms and empires followed during the course of the next couple of centuries, with the more prominent of them being the Gond Vansh empire, the Mughals, and the Marathas.
In early 19th century, the British came to the country and established their own rule. After the battle of Sitabardi in 1817, Narsinghpur district came under British rule; during this time, the area was called Gadarwara Pargana. In 1830, control of the area was given to a committee, and during this time, the area experienced improved administration, especially following the problems experienced under the Maratha Bhonsle rule before it. In 1836, the area was divided and was merged with the district of Hoshangabad. However, the Bundela revolt in 1843 caused this area to be reinstated. Narsinghpur eventually became a part of the Nerbudda division of the Central Provinces and Berar. When it eventually became Madhya Pradesh after India gained its independence in 1947, Narsinghpur became a district of Madhya Pradesh.
Narsinghpur has relatively fertile lands; the district, after all, sits on the basin of the Narmada River. Its black soil is suited for any kind of cultivation, especially since the place has adequate irrigation facilities. The crops are usually cultivated in two seasons, based mainly on the climate and conditions of the district. The two seasons are called Rabi and Kharif. Rabi crops are cultivated during October and November, with cuttings in April and May. The crops during this season include wheat, peas, and pulses. Kharif crops, on the other hand, are cultivated during June and July, and are cut in October. The crops during this season include paddy, bajara, kutki and jowar.
Tourist destination in the district include the Narsimha Mandir, a temple constructed by Jat Sardars in the 18th century in honor of Lord Narsimha. There is also the Jhoteshwar Temple, found on the route of the Mumbai-Hawrah Central Railway. Both attractions can be reached via land travel.